SPEAK Test Administration

The Applied English Center assists departments in screening the oral language proficiency of non-native speakers of English who are applying for teaching positions. GTA applicants are required by Board of Regents Policy to submit test scores for the SPEAK Test, the iBT speaking section, or the IELTS speaking section to be eligible for a GTA position. Our staff will administer the SPEAK Test to applicants for Graduate Teaching Assistantships (see SPEAK Test Dates).

To schedule a SPEAK test or for more detailed information, please contact Howard Pollock at hpollock@ku.edu.


The SPEAK Test is scored with a range of scores from 20-60, reported in 5-point increments.

Practice Test

Anyone planning to take the SPEAK test is strongly encouraged to preview the test. The purpose of the practice test is to familiarize test takers with the format of the Speak Test. If you are not able to get online, practice test booklets and CD or cassette recordings are available at the AEC office.


To register for the test, come to the AEC office located in 204 Lippincott Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to fill out a Request to Take the SPEAK Testform. To be eligible to take the SPEAK Test, applicants must provide evidence of their general English proficiency. Applicants may come in any day of the week to fill out a request application. They may return any following day (9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.) to complete test registration and to set an appointment time. This must be done by noon on the day prior to the test.


Applicants may take the SPEAK Test no more than one time every four months. Refer to the SPEAK Test FAQ page for more information. For further details, please see the Spoken English Language Competency of Faculty and Graduate Teaching Assistants, Kansas Board of Regents Policy in the KU Policy Library.

One of the first 12 intensive English programs in the United States
Each semester year, the AEC enrolls about 250 students representing more than 35 countries on six continents.
Start working on your degree now! You can take university classes for credit at the same time you are taking English classes.
Earn university credits now! You can use 9 AEC credits as elective credits toward your KU degree in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, Business, and Architecture.
Fulfill a university requirement! Completion of your English proficiency requirements means you have finished your foreign language requirement at the University of Kansas.
CONNECT with the AEC